I recently received this frantic message from a desperate pet parent:
I have never had such an issue with fleas ever in my life. I have tried everything but these ones will not go away. My terrier and rat terrier are suffering the most; they are chewing their hair off and seem to have an allergic reaction to them. Any suggestions????
Flea infestation is much different than preventing fleas. It takes tremendous time, effort and vigilance to rid your pet and your home of fleas because you must break the adult/egg/larvae cycle.
I can totally relate to the frustration of having your pet suffering with a flea infestation. It happened to my dog, Spirit the first summer we moved south. It wasn’t easy to get rid of those pesky parasites, but armed with the right products and more perseverance than those nasty critters, she was flea free and happy again.
Here are my tried and true recommendations:
- Remove all bedding from your home, car and anywhere your pet spends their time immediately and for 6 weeks after you see no more fleas on him.
- Wash everything your pet touches in hot water immediately.
- Bath your dog in gentle pet shampoo with added neem oil and geranium essential oils. Weekly for 6 weeks after you see no more fleas on him.
- Comb your pet with a flea comb after every outing to remove fleas.
- Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum everything in your house at least daily with special attention to areas where your pet spends the most time.
- Sprinkle Diatemaceous Earth (food grade), Boric Acid, OR Only Natural Pet flea defense on your carpet. DO NOT LET YOUR PETS INHALE BORIC ACID. Let sit for at least 4 hours. Then vacuum. Repeat every 3-4 days.
- Treat your car the same way.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon fresh garlic per 10 lbs of weight to your dogs diet daily OR Brewer’s yeast and garlic tablets OR Billy No Mates according to directions.
- Have your pet tested for worms and dewormed if necessary since they can develop worms from licking and ingesting fleas.
You will also find more flea and tick prevention tips in my guide “5 Easy Steps for a Healthier Pet”. Download it now by filling out the form above. It’s jam packed with tons of info to keep your pet healthy and happy.
How have you successfully battled fleas naturally?
Lots of flea-free love,